My Holiday Red | 2017
This time of year I want to pull out a red lipstick more than usual. I don't wear a ton of makeup on a daily basis but I do want to make more of an effort to wear a red lip more. Especially with a striped top - channeling my inner wannabe Parisian. I actually did really well for a good long while not purchasing any red lipsticks. But in the last year I've actually accumulated quite a lot of reds (and a lot in the last month ish - whoops).
I think this post is fitting as I just had my office work party a few hours ago as I'm typing this. I wanted to throw in some options in a variety of shades and wears - but all perfect for holidays and a classic "red"-esque shade. When it it comes to bold colored lipsticks I like to pick ones that are longer lasting because my biggest fear is being like a clown and having red lipstick smudged app around my face. I thought I'd go through some of these, their formulas, and some swatches of the lipstick shades.
- Burberry Liquid Lip Velvet in Oxblood | Oxblood has been on my list for ages because look at that dark vampy color. When this mini 4-pack came out I jumped because I had also been eyeing up Fawn Rose for a while. I have two of the liquid lip velvet formulas and absolutely love them, so I already knew I would like the formula. Although this one could potentially spread around my face, it does linger around and is more of a smooth stain effect on the lips.
- NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment in Don’t Stop | Amelia was raving about the formula of these so of course I knew I wanted to get one. I love a good liquid lipstick that doesn't budge so I was pretty excited to give this a try. I went in store at Sephora and was swatching away for the longest time and swatched about every shade. I was actually debating on a few neutral shades because I thought I'd give them better use, but I really fell in love with Don't Stop. It was such a beautiful red that I couldn't pass it up. I also didn't have a bright red liquid lip that I loved so I thought this would be a great one to replace my others.
- Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint in Uncensored | Ok so I had literally just purchased the NARS lippie, but this one came out. I was trying to be strong and hold off on purchasing, but everyone left and right was purchasing it, swatching it, and it really has shown it's the perfect universal red. And also, look. at. that. packaging. It also has a very interesting doe foot applicator. It may not seem like something that will work well, but it surprisingly does which actually make it easy to line your lips when applying.
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Project Chimps | I picked this one while it was limited edition so I do feel a bit like a jerk for including this one. This was KVD's way to show her efforts as a vegan and cruelty free beauty brand and had proceeds go to #ProjectChimps, a chimp sanctuary to help rehabilitate chimps rescued from labs where they were tested on. I normally don't go for LE shades but I liked that this one was more of a brick red and I think it always looks great on everyone. KVD makes one of my favorite liquid lip formulas and I like using them because they never over-dry my lips. My lips don't get overly cracked or feel the horror aftermath the next day. For a dupe of this shade - check out Temptalia's suggestion list here.
- Glossier Gen G in Zip | The Gen G lips are great options for those that aren't particularly drawn to wearing bold lip colors. They're sheer and great subtle "just ate a popsicle" style lip looks. These can be worn with one or two layers for a light wash, or a good few layers for a bolder look.
- Glossier Lip Gloss | Glossier brought out their Lip Gloss last year with their holiday set. This one is the gloss that has kinda pushed me over to actually appreciate a good gloss. I was a bit more drawn to use this during the summer as I loved a bronzed and glowy look with a glossy lip. Glossier has a ton of ads and promos these days with the lip gloss layered over the Gen G lips.
There you have it! Those are my current red lip options in my collection. These days I'm being much better about getting rid of shades that I don't wear and either tossing them out if they're past their shelf life or giving them to friends who will make better use of them. What are some of your favorite lipstick formulas and shades out there right now? Red or not, I'd love to hear them!