Obligatory Autumnal Berry Lips
Autumn is officially here and I am jumping up and down on the inside. Possibly one of my favorite things about this particular season is a good ol' berry / vampy lip. The weather in California is absurdly hot (it was a high of 98F today..) so I honestly won't be putting dark lipsticks on any time soon until the weather cools off. Hot weather and bold lipsticks are not my jam - who wants to wipe a bit a sweat off just to see a smudge of lipstick on the back of their hand? Not I.
I think I may have mentioned before that I'm on a bit of a lip product ban - and using all the self control I have not to purchase any new ones. And aside from one exception (KVD Project Chimps), so far so good. I have far too many lip products for one person so I'm gonna be challenging myself to use more of them up before anything actually goes off. I actually whipped out my Stila Liquid Lipstick in Amore a few weekends back and there was just something off about the formula. And seeing as though I've had it for a few years now, I've decided to give it the toss (I'm internally crying).
- Charlotte Tilbury Glastonberry: Matte dark plum - basically a gorgeous item all around. From the packaging to the actual hue. It can be a bit intimidating in the bullet (and even on the lips) but the red/purple undertones do pull through so they don't look too dark. This lipstick is what all edgy dreams are made of.
- Laura Mercier Sin: This is one of my all time favorite shades, from the formula to the sheer effortless wear. This gives you that stained lip that is low maintenance and great to wear with a casual outfit. Glossier's Jam is a close second to this, although a bit brighter in color. (*Update!! Looks like this hasn't been discontinued - they're bringing them back with a few just backordered!)
- NARS Damned: It's a toss up between this and Walkyrie for favorite NARS Lip Pencil. I mean seriously, just look at the swatch below - 'nuff said.
- NARS Afghan Red: My first actual NARS lipstick, outside of the Velvet/Satin Lip Pencils and Audacious Lipstick line. I picked this up earlier this year and it is such a gorgeous plummy red. It has crazy lasting power and wears beautifully through the day. It'll fade evenly and it's not really one that you need to worry about throughout the day.
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Plum: Also another shade that looks a bit intimidating in the bullet, but is near sheer. It adds a touch of color to the lips and a bit more "warmth" and glow to your complexion. It is hands down my favorite of the bunch, with Honey coming in at a close second.
- Topshop The Damned: Boy does this one pack a punch - it is a vibrant fuchsia berry and looks absolutely gorgeous in full effect, but also equally gorgeous patted into the lips for that stained look. I'm actually not sure if this one is still made anymore (can't find a link), but this one is almost a great perfect dupe for MAC Rebel. Just with a bit more gloss in the finish.
SWATCHES L-R / BOTTOM TO TOP: Laura Mercier Sin (discontinued), Charlotte Tilbury Glastonberry, Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Plum, Topshop The Damned, NARS Afghan Red, NARS Damned.
Are you a fan of berry / plum shades? What are some of your favorite shades - share the knowledge. Let's chat below!