The Empties 005 | Skincare
I've been super into using up all my products and really clearing up my shelves and drawers. If you follow me on Instagram you'll see that I've dedicated my "March Madness" to using up products. I have my eyeliners and samples to use up, but I'm really tackling my bathroom and using up all the skincare products that I overall felt so-so about.
1. Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Triple-Action Toner: I've had this one for years. I picked it up early on in college and used it whenever my skin was acting up. I had maybe 1/3 left but checked the expiration and saw that it was past due (only by a few months) and decided to dump the remaining product. I did appreciate that this one didn't sting my face but tingled where I had some fussy spots, and it had a nice cucumber melon scent rather than a strong alcohol scent. If you're looking for a gentle toner for acne, this one is worth checking out.
2. Clinique Toner: I was an avid user of the Clinique 3-step skincare growing up. I slowly stopped using their products and I think my skin is a lot more happy for it. I actually found that their products were a bit too strong for my skin: the face wash was a bit stripping, the toner was a tad too strong, and the lotion was extremely moisturizing. I felt like my skin was always on extreme ends of dry/moisturized. I had this one sitting in my cabinet for a while and I ended up just dumping the rest of this and throwing it out. This one was sooo strong that my eyes would water if I swiped too close to my eyes. Definitely not going for their skincare anytime soon. I'm just finishing up a rinse off foaming cleanser, but after that I'll just be focusing on their beauty products!
3. Pixi Glow Tonic: I absolutely fell head over heels for this! It isn't a product that makes a drastic difference, but it's definitely one that you can see over time. When I wouldn't reach for this I could tell that my skin was a bit more dull and lackluster than usual. I haven't had it in my rotation for a while but I'm looking to buy the full size once I use up the Caudalie one I'm currently finishing up.
4. Clarins Instant Eye Make Up Remover (for waterproof & heavy makeup): Everyone and their mom raved about this makeup remover so of course I had to have it. I picked it up during a Friends & Fam sale at Ulta a while back so I was able to snag it at a lower price. Unfortunately I was not a fan of this, and I'm not sure why everyone loves it so much. Yes, it does a great job of taking off waterproof eye makeup, but it's so heavily scented! I don't know about you guys, but I'm extremely weary of putting heavily scented products on or near my eyes, or on my face in general. I'm gladly returning back to my Bobbi Brown eye makeup remover.
5. Maybelline Clean Express Makeup Remover (waterproof eye makeup remover): This one was on clearance when I was walking through Ulta a while back and I decided to pick it up as a cheaper alternative to the Bobbi Brown makeup remover I had been using. It was a tad too oily for my liking and I wouldn't pick it up again.
6. First Aid Beauty: Face Cleanser: This should come to no surprise, I'm pretty sure I've gone through plenty of these bottles and I will never stop! My friend was telling me how she liked her Fresh cleanser but it was a bit pricey to keep repurchasing, and I told her she absolutely needs to try this. And so do you if you haven't already! It's unscented, gentle, and works well to keep your face feeling clean without stripping it.
7. Clarins: One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser w/ orange extract: I also was not a huge fan of this scent, overall Clarins has not won me with their skincare. The gritty texture didn't feel too great and I ended up using bigger dollops to use up more product faster. I'll even admit that I used it as a body scrub for my arms and legs - that's money right down the drain there.
8. Johnson's Baby Shampoo: Prior to picking up the Beauty Blender Solid, I would buy a cheap 99c bottle of this baby shampoo to clean my brushes. I had a teeny bit left so I was sure to use it up to clear up space in my drawer. There's really nothing wrong with it, but I do feel that the Beauty Blender Solid works much better and gets deep down into the brushes for a deep clean.
9. Selena Fresh Cotton Puff Fresh: My mom purchased these a while back as a cheaper alternative to her Cle de Peu / Shiseido cotton rounds (she lives that bougie life), and didn't like how thin these were. She left them in my bathroom to use up and I left them sitting around until I ran out of my cheap Target ones. I finished these up (begrudgingly) and am finally finished. These are great for the types of toners where you leave it on your skin to absorb, but for my use of removing makeup, this just wasn't cutting it. But if you're looking for a gentler alternative, this one may be great for you.
Hopefully I stick to my little March Madness challenge and continue even after March until the products are all used up! All the clutter really feels like it's cluttering my mind, and I really want to get rid of unwanted junk without being utterly wasteful.
What are some products you've been using up lately?